RE: About the need of a swap area

From: Buddy Lumpkin (b.lumpkin@attbi.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 15:41:49 EST

>Much more.
>
>The latency difference seems to be on the order of 100000 times.
>It is the latency we care about because that determines how long
>the CPU cannot do anything useful but has to wait.
>
>Rik

And if you look at the ratio between the access time of ram
which is in the low nanoseconds (1* 10 ^ -9) (data and address must be
present for at least
the rated number of ns to guarantee a sucessful read or write). and compare
it to
the seek + rotational delay of a discrete spindal which is in low
milliseconds (1* 10 ^ -3) that puts you at
a ratio of about 1000000.

regards,

--Buddy