Re: Funding GPL projects or funding the GPL?

From: Federico Ferreres (fferreres@ojf.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 00:10:30 EST

On Sat, 2002-07-27 at 00:02, Gerhard Mack wrote:

> you would need to get every last person who submitted a patch to
> relicence.

That's a real problem (and that's probably why Sun tries to be the
copyright holder in OO)

> I just don't see the point of trying to argue for what is essentially an
> imposibillity and that's even if everyone here agrees to it.

Maybe the kernel would be wrong place to start, besides the kernel is
already well funded. (It could provoke a demostration or cascading
effect).

> Gerhard
>
> PS There is something to be had here that is better than money.. it's a
> chance to read and learn from the best. I'm not kernel level yet but I do
> contribute to other projects. I learn a lot just by reading and one day I
> hope to have code good enough to be slammed by Alan Cox, Al Viro or even
> Linus himself ;)

Yes, that's clear. It's great. You learn, then you contribute back. But
that doesn't allow you to pay your bills, does it? The thing is massive
amounts of people _don't_ code, never will, are willing to contribute
but don't do it, because they are not beign asked for support in the
right way. You need them to know they'll put $10 and get $100.000.000
worth every year.

But if OSS finds a better way to fund developement, it certainly won't
hurt your learning experience. It may well improve it (more code, more
research, more accesibility). The point is to allow more people full
dedication to OSS.

Federico
PD: Maybe some day we'll find out the perfect solution.