Re: Funding GPL projects or funding the GPL?

From: Rob Landley (landley@trommello.org)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 11:46:38 EST

On Friday 26 July 2002 05:23 pm, Alexander Viro wrote:

> I had seen quite a few vendor drivers. Every time I'm looking at one of
> them, I'm reminded of MST3K. Yup, Mistery Science Theater 3000. With
> guy being forced to watch crap selected to drive him mad.
>
> And it's not just vendor drivers.
[cut]
> The thing being, absolute majority of software is crap.

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/Sturgeon's-Law.html

Nothing special about programming, this applies to television programs, acts
of congress, the skill of most drivers on the highways, grocery shopping...

Fighting off Sturgeon's law is what maintainers DO. It's why 90% of all
patches are dropped...

It's also the core business of Red Hat, Google, Slashdot, Slashdot's
moderation system, KernelTrap and Kernel Traffic... (This isn't to say that
the end result is less than 50% crud, just that they try very hard to change
the percentages. With varying degrees of success...)

Rob