Re: Linux Weekly News dying - any help?

From: jbradford@dial.pipex.com
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 05:48:13 EST

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 11:22:09AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 11:07:30AM +0100, jbradford@dial.pipex.com wrote:
> > > If somebody buys up the domain, I'll hapily spare some time to contribute
> > > to it. Just drop me an E-Mail.
> >
> > I'm sure someone has a server with some space available to host the site.
>
> It is not the server. I have a server for them. I think many do not realise
> how much time Jon & friends spend on making LWN, and it is precisely this
> *time* that sets them apart from everything else.
>
> Compare them to a Linux dedicated Theregister.co.uk - real journalism with
> analyses that go beyond what is provided by CmdrTaco (entertaining though he
> may be) and their like.
>
> In order to make LWN, they need to find a way to give them the time to work
> on it. They can't do it next to a day job.

I do understand the level of the work-load, and obviously wouldn't want to do it completely on my own for ever, and if I did, the quality would not be very good.

However, my situation at the moment, is that I am a freelance "general Unix and PHP/MySQL programming bloke", without enough work. I have time on my hands, and am quite happy to put some of it towards doing something like a Linux version of The Register, (excellent description of what I had in mind), in return for being able to say - "CV? I don't need one, see http://foobar - that's me".

John.