Re: about the performance of netfilter

From: Rusty Russell (rusty@rustcorp.com.au)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 02:27:30 EST

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:24:56 +0800
zhengchuanbo <zhengcb@netpower.com.cn> wrote:

> we use a linux router. i just tested the performance of the router. when the kernel is build without netfilter support,the throughput of 64bytes frame is about 45%. when i build the kernel with netfilter (only the ip_filter module),the throughput dropped to 24%, without any rules.
> so is there some way to improve the performance? i just want some simple packet filter. is netfilter no so good on the performance compare to ipchains due to the improved functionality?
> please cc. thanks.

There are several stages.
1) CONFIG_NETFILTER=n
2) CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
3) CONFIG_NETFILTER=y CONFIG_IP_NF_TABLES=m, ip_tables.o loaded
4) iptables rules inserted.

Make sure you do not have CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG or CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK
on!

Rusty.

--
   there are those who do and those who hang on and you don't see too
   many doers quoting their contemporaries.  -- Larry McVoy