Re: DAC960 Bitrot

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@arcor.de)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 11:57:51 EST

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 16:39, Jens Axboe wrote:
> The only changes I did to this driver where trivial conversions in the
> 2.5.1-pre days, in fact even before multi-page bio's existed. This,
> btw, is also something you should keep an eye out for -- multi-page bio
> support is currently broken.

I spotted that. I changed bio_size (which is gone) to bio_sectors(bio) << 9,
is this correct?

> I would suggest also moving DAC960 to the
> pci dma api (this is a must) and then move it to use the generic block
> helpers for mapping requests. That way there isn't a lot of nasty
> duplication there as well, plus it will automatically get the multi-page
> issues right.

My first concern is to get something working any way I can so that I can
start doing regression testing. True/false: the bad old way of doing dma
will still work, it's just deprecated? If true, then I should (trivially)
switch back to the old way of doing things, get the rest working, then
convert to the dma api. Maybe *you* could make all the changes at the same
time and expect to end up with something that works, but I can't.

The alternative is to go back many kernel versions and find the first one
that broke something, but I don't want to do that because too much else was
broken at the time.

> Hmm, is DAC960 using a full major per controller?!

As you saw, it implements the top level block interface instead of being a
scsi device as it should be. So for disk subsystems we have: 1) IDE 2) SCSI
3) DAC960. Eep. At some point it's all going to be SCSI, right?

--
Daniel