Re: USB and PCMCIA drop out simultaneously during heavy data transfers (2.4.18)

From: Roger Larsson (roger.larsson@skelleftea.mail.telia.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 03:09:38 EST

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 02.33, Vassili Papavassiliou wrote:
> Hello,
> This is a problem I reported on July 19; unfortunately, because of a
typo,
> the subject header did not appear. Briefly, during traffic through a PCMCIA
> card (Ethernet, WiFi, or SCSI adapter), both PCMCIA and USB time out if
there
> is any USB activity at the time (such as moving a mouse). Otherwise they can
> coexist for days. After the timeout PCMCIA cannot be restarted until the USB
> modules are removed. This makes USB essentially unusable in this machine, as
> there is always some PC card in use. In 2.2.xx, this issue only showed up
with
> CardBus cards.
>
> I apologize for reposting, but I think it's a real problem that may only
> show up in older, slow machines, which is why I haven't seen any references
> it, and the absence of a subject in my original post probably made it
useless.
> Details are in the archived original message, e.g. in
> http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0207.2/0884.html
>
> If anybody has any ideas, please CC also to pvs@nmsu.edu and thanks in
> advance.
> Vassili Papavassiliou

Your logs shows several
"Jul 18 14:58:33 localhost kernel: wvlan_cs: This is a PrismII card, not a
Wavelan IEEE card :-( "

I have found that the best driver for PrismII cards is the orinoco, this is my
> lsmod
orinoco_cs 4328 1
orinoco 29408 0 [orinoco_cs]
hermes 3328 0 [orinoco_cs orinoco]
ds 6368 1 [orinoco_cs]
yenta_socket 8384 1
pcmcia_core 37984 0 [orinoco_cs ds yenta_socket]

I do also use USB, memory card with quite big transfers. And I have never seen
this problem - I will look for it...

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson