Re: [patch 2/9] 2.5.6 lm_sensors

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 20 2002 - 15:12:26 EST

On Sat, 2002-07-20 at 02:04, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Is there any other machine that is known to get fubar when using this code?
> Perhaps a THINKPAD_SUPPORT in "Processor Types and Features", like there is
> already for Toshiba and Dell laptops, that would disable the lm_sensors code,
> and besides I think that this code should be marked EXPERIMENTAL, so that
> users would be warned about these problems.

That is nothing like safe enough. The current approach it takes is IMHO
backwards. The probing stuff isnt safe. Any laptop could have this kind
of stuff lurking.

I would much rather see DMI tables used - both the DMI entry that is
meant for this and board id matches. That way it would only activate on
systems that it is known to be safe on. It would also require no user
configuration, which again could lead to problems.

We have a DMI parser, and we can encourage vendors (or suicidal users)
to contribute table entries.