Re: [BUG?] unwanted proxy arp in 2.4.19-pre10

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 20:46:25 EST

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, David S. Miller wrote:

> You have to use specific source-routing settings in conjuntion with
> enabling arp_filter in order for arp_filter to have any effect.
>
> This is a FAQ.

Frequently asked, but all I find is complex ways to work around the bug
rather than any patches. I do have the source routing settings in place,
virtually all packets sent to an IP not on the NIC are loggged and
droppped, so I won't have a problem with spoofing. I did turn off the
firewall on a machine to check the problem, in practice all the packets
with incorrect MAC addresses would be dropped.

I fear someone with less draconian firewalls might accept an internal IP
address on an external NIC, however. I get about 800 log entries a month
on some machines, and they're behind a boundary router.

I thought I was missing something, clearly this is a known problem.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc