Re: PROBLEM: Oops in 2.4.18 (swapper)

From: Grendel (grendel@thanes.org)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 16:56:12 EST

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 04:39:14PM +0200, Adrian Bunk scribbled:
> On 12 Jul 2002, Raphael Wegmann wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> Hi Raphael,
>
> > my plain 2.4.18 is frequently/randomly oopsing in swapper:
> > Please tell me, if I can help you somehow.
>
> could you check whether these Oopses still appear in 2.4.19-rc1?
I am having similar problem with my ASUS K7V333 motherboard. Usually I'm not
able to even see the panic message since the system locks up or reboots
immediately, but the few messages I saw were related to the swapper or to
the DMA on the CD-RW I have. I was suspecting the -aa series I was using
(with XFS) so I converted my filesystems back to reiserfs and went to use
the -ac series or 2.4.19-rc1. The problem has just manifested itself a while
ago first with the panic caught in the logs and followed by a solid freeze
(see the attachment) and then, after the system came back, a spontaneous
reboot while compiling 2.4.19-rc1-ac3.
The kernel config is also attached. Machine is an Athlon XP1700+, 512MB of
DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, Radeon, Samsung CD-RW, filesystems used are
ext3+reiserfs.

For the -aa series I have ported the kmsgdump patch which worked once but
the messages it caught weren't very useful, unfortunately :(

greetings,

marek