Re: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5

From: Joerg Schilling (schilling@fokus.gmd.de)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 08:24:57 EST

>Thunder wrote:

>Because we can't tell Linux users "your (once favorite) CD-ROM is not
>implemented in Linux (any more), and will never ever be". If we explicitly
>exclude hardware, where do we end?!

It would help if you educate yourself before you wrtite to the thread.
This could help a lot to keep this discussion technical.

If a CD-ROM does not support ATAPI, you are not able to

- open/close/lock the door.

- Rip Audio from it.

People who really cannot affort to buy a new drive will still be able
to see the drive as read-only HD.

In addition, if the drive would support DAE via some non-standard interface
nobody would be happy with it. The DAE quality would be lousy and none of
the programs that is still supported would be able to use the drive
decently for DAE.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling@fokus.gmd.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling