Re: kbd not functioning in 2.5.25-dj2

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 07:37:02 EST

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 02:17:31PM +0200, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 02:01:53PM +0200, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
>
> > > mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> > > atkbd.c: Sent: f5
> > > atkbd.c: Received fe
> > > serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
> >
> > Ok. So this is the cause. The driver gets a '0xfe' response, which means
> > "error, command not supported, or device not present'.
> >
> > A keyboard must support the 0xf5 command ('reset').
>
> I have not followed the discussion and probably say something
> entirely out of context. But from the good old days I seem to
> recall commands 0xff "reset", 0xf5 "set defaults and deactivate"
> and reply 0xfe "please resend".
>
> In principle nothing is wrong when one gets a 0xfe.
> The request is just: please say that again.

Commands:

0xf5 - n/a - Keyboard
  Reset and disable keyboard. The keyboard performs a reset to a power
on state (without affecting the LEDs) and stops generating events.

0xff - 1*R - Keyboard / Mouse
  Reset and perform the Basic Assurance Test (BAT). Device returns a
BAT completion code 0xaa. If it's a keyboard, then switches to scancode
set 2. If it's a mouse, it also sends 0x00, 0x03 or 0x04 after 0xaa.
Since BAT is also triggered on power-on, a device will send 0xaa
immediately after being plugged in.

0xfe
  Resend. Keyboard will send this if it didn't receive the last command
correctly.

Unfortunately, 0xfe also happens when you send a command to a keyboard
that's not plugged, or when the keyboard doesn't understand the command.
Resending in those cases (which are the most common) would cause an
infinite loop ...

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs