Re: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@freya.yggdrasil.com)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 01:20:28 EST

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Adam J. Richter wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
>> >Wrong impression. ;)
>> >Hint: look for STANDARD_ATAPI macro usage.
>>
>> It looks like that macro should be renamed to something like
>> STANDARD_MMC. Everything that that macro controls still appears to
>> go through ATA Packet Interface encapsulation. Those quirks look like
>
>Please verify against sff8020.

        I don't know what you mean by this. It's not a question of
whether the behavior being accomodated is conformant or nonconformant
to a standard. The question is whether the accomodations controlled
by the "STANDARD_ATAPI" macro can easily be implemented in sr_mod.
Since the accomodations are translating a couple of numbers that
are repeseneted as binary coded decimal instead of integers (0-255)
on some drives, and sending a slightly different SCSI command to
change discs on a Sanyo three CD changer, it seems that they can easily
be implemented in sr_mod.

>> they would likely be duplicated in a SCSI version of the same drives
>> anyhow. It should be easy to have sr_mod accomodate those drives.
>
>I can't find them, there are some in sr_vendor.c but they are diffirent

        From you email address, I would guess that English is not your
first language. While you do write English very well, I think you made
a mistake in understanding what I siad. "It should be easy to
have sr_mod accomodate those drives" means that it would be easy for
someone to write code in the near future to do this (that is, to change
sr_mod.c). It does not mean that it has already been done.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 575 Oroville Road
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / Milpitas, California 95035
                         "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."