Re: PATCH: compile the kernel with -Werror

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 13:46:26 EST

On 13 Jul 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> May I suggest the user learns to use the command line properly. Adding
> -Werror doesn't help because gcc emits far too many bogus warnings for
> that.

Especially _some_ versions of gcc.

We've tried this before, and there are versions of gcc that have some
warnings on by default that simply aren't acceptable and cannot be avoided
sanely (I think at least some snapshots had the sign warnings on, for
example, which causes some really silly warnings where the warnings are
less odious than the changes required to get rid of them).

That said, I don't think -Werror is really wrong. It might make it less
likely to have new drivers introducing unnecessary warnings..

                Linus