Re: ext2 'remount' problem

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 14:21:49 EST

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Andreas Dilger wrote:
[SNIPPED...]

> output).
>
> On reboot the filesystem is not clean. Either the kernel is not
> doing what it should to flush the dirty superblock to disk, or the disk
> is lying about having written the superblock to disk. I would suspect
> the latter on IDE drives, but SCSI drives are usually sane.
>
> Try adding a sync or two before rebooting, and also checking via
> debugfs after reboot to ensure it is marked dirty when it shouldn't
> be. You could even add some printk's to ext2_put_super() inside the
> conditional where it marks the filesystem clean and syncs the super
> to ensure that is being called.
>
> > # umount -a
> > umount: /mnt: device is busy
>
> What about the above message?

That's because I have a floppy (with typescript) mounted rw on
/mnt and the file is still open (that's how these messages are
recorded).

> The fact that /dev/sda1 is your root fs could cause some strangeness also.
>
> It would appear to be that ext2_remount() is missing "sb->s_flags |=
> MS_RDONLY" after the comment "set the rdonly flag and then mark the
> partition as valid again". The other check for valid flags also appears
> to be a bit suspect.

I will look around a bit. This only happens when one remounts an
already-mounted file-system, then dismounts it. Normally everything
is clean. This is not something that would normally happen. Oh... I
forgot... This is a SMP machine

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 5
model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 399.574
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 797.90

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 5
model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 399.574
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 797.90

> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger