Re: Advice saught on math functions

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 09:39:41 EST

> Are these functions which are supplied by the FPU? I've looked
> through the fpu emulation headers and exp() is the only one I can find

You can't use FPU operations in the x86 kernel.

Maybe you should do this in user space ? Certainly the more I talk to people
like Nicholas Pitre the more it seems to me that most of the kernel side
stuff is the wrong approach.

Instead would it not be better to

- Fix select on /dev/vcsa to work
- During init start up after init processes are running have
        the init tasks (or for that matter the kernel) fire up the
        speech helper

The fact 95% of the speakup drivers are going to spontaneously go
obsolete the moment serial ports vanish bothers me.