Re: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 20:00:08 EST

> Please consider deprecating or removing ide-floppy/ide-tape/ide-cdrom
> and treat all ATAPI devices as what they really are -- SCSI over IDE.

They aren't.

o Not all ide cdrom devices are ATAPI capable
o Many ide floppy devices can do ATAPI but get it horribly wrong
o ide-tape is -totally- weird and unrelated to st

Andre did the framework ready to move to a situation where you could open
either the ide-scsi or the ide-cdrom name without module reloading mess.
You'd need to ask our new 2.5 IDE maintainer to finish that work off.

For disk it gets much easier. Linus has already said he wants a single
'disk' device, which once we get 32bit dev_t will be nice. With that we
can finally turn aacraid, megaraid and other 'fake scsi' devices back to
raw block devices without breaking compatibility assumptions, and get more
throughput.

Alan