Re: Rusty's module talk at the Kernel Summit

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 00:44:48 EST

>Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 00:01:54 -0300
>From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@conectiva.com.br>

>BTW, where are these patches for IPv4 modularisation? I'd love to take a look
>and try it... Adam? Is it available for 2.5.latest?

        I have to catch a plane to Beijing in the morning and I
haven't packed and the internet connectivity in the rooms there is
flakey (possibly due to their router, which is running a Linux 2.2
kernel, by the way). So, please excuse my sloppy approach, as this
might otherwise take weeks.

        I have made a diff of linux/{net,drivers/net} against 2.5.25,
which should show my ipv4 modularization changes, although there are a
bunch of other changes that are irrelevant (unrelated changes to
various net device drivers) and some that might be relevant (e.g.,
disintegrating drivers/net/net_init.c, modularizing some media level
network protocols).

        The diff is FTPable from

        ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/adam/kernel/netdiff-2.5.25.gz

        In case I missed something, I have also placed a complete .tar.gz
kernel snapshot at

        ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/adam/kernel/linux-2.5.25.ygg.tar.gz

        ipv4 modularization would need to be looked over by the lkml
crowd and cleaned up before being sent to Linus. I probably got lots
of details wrong. As I mentioned in a previous email, I thought that
there was a modularized ipv4 already working its way to Linus from the
vger cvs tree (don't know if it still exists), which I presumed would
have had a lot more programmer power alreadya applied to it. Perhaps
Dave Miller could comment on whether I misunderstood the situation
and, if there were other ipv4 modularization patches floating around,
whether he or anyone else knows their current status.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 575 Oroville Road
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / Milpitas, California 95035
                         "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."