how to debug it?

From: Michael Gruner (stockraser@yahoo.de)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 14:40:51 EST

> >ok, did it as you say: in the BIOS I switched to Vsync/blank screen.
> >Let's see what happens.
> >BTW: My graphics card isn't a nvidia as many of you suggested but an ATI
> >Rage pro (what did you wrote Bernd? ;-) ).
> >Another interesting thing I got back in mind today was: one day my XMMS
> >played a mp3 song and I switched to console (oooops...you know what
> >happend) but the song kept on playing in a loop that was some
> >milliseconds until I powered the box off. I don't know what to think
> >about that.
>
> I've seen the same thing on my ATI XPert@Play (Rage Pro chipset). At
> 2.4.17, it was a risky proposition to switch between X and a text VC.
> It's better in 2.4.18, although not much (I believe. I may be wrong).
> I have happend upon a situation a number of times where, when switching
> from X to a text VC, the machine "locks up", but CTRL-F7 (the X VC) will
> get me back to a working X login screen (KDM), at least for a while. If
> I keep trying to switch to a text VC (which never works), it eventually
> fully locks up, to the point where I have to pull the plug, since the on
> switch is non-responsive. If I tell it to shut down, it gets *most* of
> the way through before carping out and locking up fully.
> I don't *believe* I've seen this in 2.5.x, although I may be wrong.

Do you think it would be a good idea to get it out of the stable tree?
Or is it better to try to live with it and wait for getting 2.5 the
stable tree?

Is there a howto to get this debugged? Looking into /var/log/messages
there are no messages that could point out that bad thing.

michael

--
Windmuehlenweg 22 07907 Schleiz
mobil: +491628955029