Re: Terrible VM in 2.4.11+?

From: khromy (khromy@lnuxlab.ath.cx)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 18:27:10 EST

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:11:37AM +0200, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as of the last stable version 2.4.18 VM management does not work for me
> properly. I have Athlon system with 512MB ram, 2.4.18 kernel without any
> additional patches.
>
> I run following sequence of commands:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp bs=1M count=512 &
> find / -print &
> { wait a few seconds }
> sync
>
> at this point find stops completely or at least almost stops.
>
> The same if I copy from /dev/hdf to /dev/hda. XOSVIEW shows only reading or only

Wow, this is the same problem I was having! Checkout the thread 'sync
slowness. ext3 on VIA vt82c686b'. Some said it was my harddrive, but
this morning I noticed the problem is gone!

After I copy the file, sync returns right away. I'm running
2.4.19-rc1aa1 now.

--
L1:	khromy		;khromy(at)lnuxlab.ath.cx