Re: [FREEZE] 2.4.19-pre10 + Promise ATA100 tx2 ver 2.20

From: Dieter Stueken (stueken@conterra.de)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 14:44:20 EST

Jussi Laako wrote:

> No matter which one of the
> installations is booted, the system will lock up if the VIA controller is in
> use at the same time as the PDC. However, system seems to be stable (short
> test priod though) if only the PDC controller is in use. (I left the old
> drives attached to the VIA controller unmounted.)
>
> Does this problem sound similar to yours?

seems similar to my problem. If I connect large (75-120G) disks on
both PDC channels and run /sbin/badblocks in parallel (dd might do, too)
I get a kernel panic/freeze. I get it even with no disk on the onboard
controller. I can reproduce this on two different VIA boards with both,
a PDC20267 and a PDC20262, too. On a board with Ali chiset, however
no error occured during a short (5 minutes) test. On a board with an
Intel
chipset I got some "DMA timeout" after 3 hours, but may be this was
an unrelated problem.

Dieter.