Re: [announce] [patch] batch/idle priority scheduling, SCHED_BATCH

From: Bernd Eckenfels (ecki-news2002-06@lina.inka.de)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 14:07:58 EST

In article <20020707124613.GE30476@unthought.net> you wrote:
> Idle-time is what you pay for but do not get ;) Having CPU hogs
> running is a nice way of getting the last penny out of the investment,
> but I have many boxes where I don't do it, simply because it would
> render the load statistics useless.

And of course it needs a bit more power and produces much more temperature
(and therefore noise).

BTW: even an batch prio will load the system more than an idle process. The
cache is dirty, the disk has a longer work queue, RSS is used up by that
programs. So for a slow system you have to expect impact.

Greetings
Bernd