Re: Multiple profiles

From: Brad Hards (bhards@bigpond.net.au)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 08:28:24 EST

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:19, Gregory Giguashvili wrote:
> One might think of external devices (tapes, scaners, disks, etc.) constanly
> being moved from machine to machine. I understand I can twist /etc/init.d/*
> to support all the configurations. However, I don't see a reason why it
> cannot be the responsibility of Linux kernel to "see" different hardware
> configurations on boot.
We can do this, for some device types. Not just for boot, but for hotplug type
devices as well. The kernel option is CONFIG_HOTPLUG, and it signals
userspace to describe what went on.

It is not appropriate for the kernel to decide what goes on (eg, if you attach
a USB scanner, whether you'd like to load the necessary kernel modules, start
up KDE and kooka, start a scan and save to /tmp/pr0n; or just ignore it for
now because the scanner is noisy, and you'll start it running overnight from
a cron job). So we make such policy decisions in userspace. This is normally
some shell script run as /sbin/hotplug (although you can change the script
name using a /proc interface). Sample scripts can be downloaded from
http://linux-hotplug.sf.net, which has lots more documentation on this.

Does this address your concern?

Brad

--