Re: sync slowness. ext3 on VIA vt82c686b

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 05:57:45 EST

khromy wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 10:22:44AM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > Ugh. My first guess would be that you have one enormously fragmented
> > filesystem. 13MB in 2 minutes? A modern disk should get that amount
> > of data to disk in one second, but massive fragmentation can simply
> > kill disk performance.
> >
> > If /home is on the same disk, do you get the same problem trying to
> > write there?
>
> Yeah, /home/ is on the same disk. Your guess might be right because
> that's what I was trying to show. When I copy the file, which is in
> /home/(hda2) to /tmp/(hda1) and I sync, it takes almost 2 minutes. But
> if I copy the same file, which is in /home/(hda2) to /usr/local/(hda3),
> sync returns immediately. This disk isn't that old either.

Get your data off that disk Immediately!

If you write a large file, ext2 will do a good job not fragmenting the
file. You should be able to get about 20M per second on a sequential
writes, about 10M per second, if your filesystem is badly fragmented.

So, the drive is taking abnormally long to read/write blocks. That is
an indication that it's "going to die soon".

That said, maybe there is a whole lot of (random) reads going on
on that disk? Are you swapping at the same time? Or maybe your
dayly "updatedb" is running?

Roger.

* There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots.
* There are also old, bald pilots.