Re: sync slowness. ext3 on VIA vt82c686b

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 04:22:44 EST

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 10:20:51PM -0400, khromy wrote:
> When I copy a file(13Megs) from /home/ to /tmp/, sync takes almost 2 minutes.
> When I copy the same file to /usr/local/, sync returns almost right away. Both
> filesystems are ext3 and are on the same harddrive. When sync is running,
> the harddrive light stays on but I don't hear it doing anything. dmesg doesn't
> show any errors either. Below is the `time` output for each command. If you
> need anymore information let me know..

Ugh. My first guess would be that you have one enormously fragmented
filesystem. 13MB in 2 minutes? A modern disk should get that amount
of data to disk in one second, but massive fragmentation can simply
kill disk performance.

If /home is on the same disk, do you get the same problem trying to
write there?

--Stephen