Re: rtl-8139

From: Ulrich Wiederhold (U.Wiederhold@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 03:44:00 EST

Hello,
* srinivasa k <kshriny@yahoo.com> [020703 09:23]:
this is a german speaking mailing list.

> I'm having rtl8139 ethernet card. I just tried the
> option lsmod, it is not showing any module for that
> device.
lsmod only shows already loaded modules.

> I have complied the source and tried to insert
> the module, but it is showing the device is busy.
?
I suppose you compiled a new kernel, set
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
CONFIG_8139TOO=m #<--- that's the module you need.

Don't forget "update-modules" and "depmod -va" after making the modules.
And modify your /etc/modutils/aliases file:
alias eth0 8139too
      ^^^^
      that's your interface name, should be eth0 for your first NIC.

Then load the module using "modprobe 8139too". Check the loaded modules
using "lsmod":
[...]
8139too 11936 1

And continue configuring your network. Hint:
man ifconfig
man route

> Can any one help me in solving out this problem ?
I hope I could.

Try to join an english-speaking mailing list if you don't speak german,
look for it at www.debian.org.

Regards
Uli

--
'The box said, 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so i installed Linux - TKK 5