Re: 2.4.19-rc1 broke OSF binaries on alpha

From: Richard Henderson (rth@twiddle.net)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 18:13:22 EST

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 07:05:44PM +0400, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
> Unfortunately the libraries _officially_ available for linux are
> from v4. If HP would release something more up to date, the alpha
> iov_len hack would go away.

Do we have any way of recognizing v4 vs v5 binaries? I don't think
we do. I'd be willing to call any ECOFF binary an OSF binary, and
ignore the fact that Linux used them in the distant past.

The minimum correct solution is to add a PER_OSF4 to personality.h
and put an osf_readv and osf_writev that, if PER_OSF4, read and frob
the data into kernel buffers and pass that on to the regular syscalls.

r~