Re: amd-smp-idle module avail for testing max 90 W power savings

From: Tony Lindgren (tony@atomide.com)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 14:41:44 EST

* Sebastian Droege <sebastian.droege@gmx.de> [020702 12:29]:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 12:14:54 -0700
> Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:
>
> > Amd-smp-idle enables the power savings mode like VCool and LVCool, but
> > amd-smp-idle uses the Linux PCI features, and supports currently SMP
> > only. So far I've squeezed out maximum 90 Watt power savings out of my
> > system :)
> >
> > http://www.muru.com/linux/amd-smp-idle/
>
> Is it possible to do something similar for AMD-751 or VIA-686a (or other UP Athlon chipsets)?

Yes, you could use LVCool program, or merge the LVCool functionality to
amd-smp-idle. I added place holders for enabling other chips.

Just add functions for enabling north and southbridge, and then fill in
the idle function. I kind of thought of modifying LVCool, but it was not
using the Linux PCI API, and was not really suitable for SMP systems.

LVCool is at:

http://mpet.freeservers.com/LVCool.html

Tony