Re: 2.4.18 (and maybe earlier versions) can't see my IDE disks where 2.2 can

From: Nix (nix@esperi.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 02:50:24 EST

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Andre Hedrick spake:
> Lemme guess PDC5030 or 4030

I've just tried with that driver and append="ide0=dc4030". No joy:
identical output to the `normal' ide.c case (i.e. controller found, but
no drives found), and no mention of `Promise caching controller'
anywhere in the output. I guess my ancient Promise isn't one of those
after all. (Again, not *all* that surprising: this disk controller is
older than Linux...)

:(

I'll scatter a bunch of printk's through the code in 2.2 and 2.4
ide-probe.c and see what happens in 2.2 versus 2.4 probing; it'll be
tomorrow before that's doable though because I can only reboot the
machine in the early morning when nobody else is around.

(The code in ide-probe.c is very divergent anyway, but this might give
me, or someone else, *some* clue.)

--
`What happened?'
                 `Nick shipped buggy code!'