Re: RE2: [OKS] Module removal

From: Werner Almesberger (wa@almesberger.net)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 22:11:52 EST

Keith Owens wrote:
> This is just one symptom of the overall problem, which is module code
> that adjusts its use count by executing code that belongs to the
> module. The same problem exists on entry to a module function, the
> module can be removed before MOD_INC_USE_COUNT is reached.

Ah yes, now I remember, thanks. I filed that under "improper reference
tracking". After all, why would anybody hold an uncounted reference in
the first place ?

I can understand that the exact number of references may be unknown,
e.g. if I pass a reference to some registration function, which may in
turn hand it to third parties, but why wouldn't I know that there is
at least one reference ?

If some other module B hands out uncounted references on behalf of
some module A, it would seem natural for B to make sure that it
collects them before getting unloaded (and thereby releasing A).

> 1) Do the reference counting outside the module, before it is entered.

Evil, agreed ;-)

- Werner