Re: [Fwd: Re: 2.5.24-dj1,smp,ext2,raid0: I got random zero blocks in my files.]

From: Helge Hafting (helge.hafting@broadpark.no)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 14:50:51 EST

Helge Hafting wrote:

> [...]
[...]
> > The filesystems use 4k blocks.
> > I haven't seen any trouble on non-raid or raid-1
> > partitions.
>
> Yes, the large BIO stuff went into 2.5.19. RAID0 doesn't
> like those big BIOs. Jens is cooking up a fix for that.
>
> Just to confirm that this is the problem, could you please
> set MPAGE_BIO_MAX_SIZE in 32768 in fs/mpage.c and see if the
> failure goes away?

I tried that, and it didn't help. Could this be as simple
as non-aligned 32k requests? A size limit might not be
enough if the request starts in the middle of one stripe
extending into the next?

I got lots of these,
monster kernel: raid0_make_request bug: can't convert block across
chunks or bigger than 32k 2944376 32

and untarred files with strings of zeroes in them. One
file had several sets of zeroes.

Helge Hafting