Re: [OKS] Kernel release management

From: Justin M. Forbes (kernelmail@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 14:24:03 EST

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
> > I suggested that 2.5 be opened when 2.4 came out, so I like the idea of
> > 2.7 starting when 2.6 is released. I think developers will maintain the
> > 2.6 work out of pride and desire to have a platform for the "next big
> > thing." And their code can always be placed on hold for 2.7 until they
> > clarify their thinking on 2.6, if that's really needed.
> > <Snip>
>
> If 2.7 doesn't start before 2.6 is _really_ stable everyone who wants
> to have a new development tree is more interested in making 2.6 a really
> good kernel instead of focussing immediately on 2.7 .
>

> Just my 0.02 (Euro-)cent
> Adrian

I would have to agree with Adrian here. I think that with the feature
freeze happening in October, many people will be sitting on new ideas for
immediate implementation into 2.7 as soon as that kernel is available. If
the venue is there for 2.7 work to really begin, alot of attention will be
taken away from the 2.6 tree. If 2.6 is out for a while before 2.7,
people will spend more time stabilizing the 2.6 tree, and can continue to
test their pre 2.7 work against current 2.6. Waiting doesnt stifle the
work process for new features too much, but tends to encourage
stabilization of 2.6 in the meantime.

Justin