Re: [OKS] Module removal

From: Jose Luis Domingo Lopez (linux-kernel@24x7linux.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 13:42:57 EST

On Monday, 01 July 2002, at 13:48:55 -0400,
Bill Davidsen wrote:

> The suggestion was made that kernel module removal be depreciated or
> removed. I'd like to note that there are two common uses for this
> capability, and the problems addressed by module removal should be kept in
> mind. These are in addition to the PCMCIA issue raised.
>
>From my non-kernel non-programmer point of view, module removal can be
useful under more circunstances than the ones you said. For example,
trying some combination of parameters for a module to get you damned
piece of hardware working, and having to reboot each time you want to
pass it a different set of parameters, doesn't seem reasonable to me.
Examples such as network cards (as Bill said), your nice TV capture
card, or just setting a "debug=1" for a module that seems not to be
working OK.

Except there was a way to pass parameters to modules once loaded, and
have them "reconfigure" themselves for the new parameters.

Just the opinion of a Linux user :)

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.19-pre6aa1)