Re: 2.4.19-rc1 broke OSF binaries on alpha

From: Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 02:54:18 EST

Hi Ivan, Alan, Marcelo,

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 03:50:58AM +0400, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 03:28:50AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Please back it back in. The bug is the Alpha port. Alpha needs its own OSF
> > readv/writev entry point which masks the top bits.
>
> Ouch. The new entry point just because of this?!
> Marcelo, if you're going to back in that patch, please apply
> the following on the top of it.

This patch indeed makes acroread & netscape work again on my alpha. Nice
spotting.
Don't we know about the type of binary? (Like personality ...)
So we could use something like
   ssize_t len
 #ifdef __alpha__
   if (current->personality == DEC_OSF_OLD)
     len = (int) iov[i].iov_len;
   else
     len = (ssize_t) iov[i].iov_len;
 #else
   len = (ssize_t) iov[i].iov_len;
 #endif

Not really beautiful, but working for all cases.

Regards,

--
Kurt Garloff  <garloff@suse.de>                          Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers         Linux kernel development