Re: Thinkpad 560 suspend/hibernate requires floppy

From: Jan Harkes (jaharkes@cs.cmu.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 12:55:22 EST

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 03:55:24PM +0100, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> I almost always run into trouble suspending or hibernating my Thinkpad
> 560. On some boots, it works once only. On others it works many
> times and then stops (it always stops working if I put in a Zoom modem
> card). I've tried many different kernels, all with the same problem.

I have a 560X, and successful suspending depends on a few things. If you
are on the battery it typically works, but if you are on wall-power, the
BIOS refuses to suspend whenever a communication related pccard is
inserted (i.e. any modem/serial/network card).

I typically need to reload the cs4236 sound driver to avoid DMA timeouts
when the machine comes back.

> CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y

This one doesn't seem to be needed, APM is already active.

> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y

This one seems to _reduce_ my battery life with some kernels (the ones
where kapmd is simply calling apm_idle in a loop without halting the
CPU). Disable this and I can often run for more than 3 hours on a battery,
enabled it is typically less than 2 hours.

> # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set

Enable this, the bios seems to want interrupts enabled, especially when
suspending to disk.

Jan