Re: [BUG] IDE error in (un)stable trees

From: Lionel Bouton (Lionel.Bouton@inet6.fr)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 05:20:06 EST

Diego Calleja wrote:

>I get this error message when I run hdparm -Y /dev/hda, And after this,
>I try to access some mounted partition:
>
>System is a cyrix 6x86MX 200Mhz with a Microstar 5146, wich has a Sis
>5513 ide chipset Kernel is a 2.4.19-rc1, but is reporducible in the last
>-ac tree. So I think it may be related to my IDE chipset.
>
>(NOTE: After the kernel prints the bug, in 2.4.19-rc1 and
>2.4.19-pre8-ac3 the drive starts again, but system doesn't seems to work
>with the mounted partition of the slept drive, 2.5 doesn't work neither
>starts the drive...)

1/ SiS5571 is not in the lookup table used to find the chipset
capabilities. That shouldn't pose problem as from what I could gather
from the web this is a basic EIDE chipset (ATA16 support only) and every
unknown chipset is configured as an ATA16 capable chipset.

2/ timings might be messed up because of the FSB used (75MHz instead of
66MHz) on your configuration.

If you can, underclock your mainboard to 66MHz and see what happens. If
it solves your problem, then dynamically computing timings from the FSB
(in my TODO list but behind ATA133 support) will eventually solve your
problem. Until then you could modify the timings by hand (I could
provide you a patch for your specific configuration).

--
Lionel Bouton - inet6
   o              Siege social: 51, rue de Verdun - 92158 Suresnes