Full RAM problem with IDE UDMA active

From: Herbert G. Fischer (nospam@pontoip.com.br)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 18:30:44 EST

Helo,

When I do varios disk read-write operations (ex.: copying some ISO from one
partition to another), my RAM gets almost FULL. It keeps growing in usage
during the read-write operation. But when the operation finishes, the memory
keeps FULL, even after running a sync command. The swap isn't used in
this case.

I think that UDMA uses a lot of memory without deallocing it.

Look:
             total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 772368 645884 126484 0 85072 393896
-/+ buffers/cache: 166916 605452
Swap: 1044188 0 1044188

I'm a newbie on kernel development, but I think that must be something
related with the Linux kernel because I've tested a lot, in Slackware 8.0 and
on my Linux-From-Scratch distro (I'm using now).

I compared to other OS and Linux is the only that does that, so it's not
ahardware problem.

My computer is a:

Intem Pentium 3 EB 800Mhz
MB ASUS CUV4X - BIOS 1009
Chipset: VIA Apollo Pro133X - NB: VT82C694Z - SB: VT82C686A
768MB DIMM RAM PC133
HD Quantum lct30 (30GB - 5400 RPM)
etc...

Essential Softz
Kernel Linux-2.4.18
GlibC 2.2.5
GCC 3.0.4

The .config of my kernel is attached to this email.

Please, help me to solve this.

Regards,

Herbert