Update - Ramdisks and tmpfs problems

From: Geoffrey Gallaway (geoffeg@sin.sloth.org)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 09:23:43 EST

I finally found the problem, which appears to be a combination of things:

Multiple tmpfs mounts and SMP.

I am using a Dual Intel PIII 1Ghz box. When I use a SMP kernel AND do
multiple tmpfs mounts (mount --bind /dev/shm/etc /etc; mount --bind
/dev/shm/var /var) the machine goes into a reset loop. HOWEVER, when I use a
non-SMP kernel and still do multiple tmpfs mounts OR when I use a SMP kernel
and do only one tmpfs mount, the machine boots fine. Every once in a while
(1 out of 20 times?) the machine would boot fine with a SMP kernel and
multiple tmpfs mounts. Is this a timing issue?

If I can help to nail down this (apparent) bug more, please let me know.

Thanks,
Geoffeg