2.4.1X>: Possible SMP<->Networking kernel bug ?

From: Stefan Frank (sfr@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 07:15:50 EST

Hi,

since some time i have a problem with my SMP system ('obelix').
The symptom is that i cannot transfer big files onto this system
(the server). It doesn't matter wether i use scp,ftp or nfs (knfsd)
. With NFS i receive an error message "file too big" as soon as i copy
files about 2MB large. Either scp or ftp (upload always) will simply get
stuck sooner or later. The maximum i succeeded was to copy about 230MB
out of an 680MB divx movie. But it also stopped at ~50MB once. Please
note that there are no further error messages in the log files.
I have attached the tcpdump output of such a failed scp attempt.

This has been happening since some time now, and finally i started looking
into it. So i compiled a released 2.4.18 kernel (without any additional patches)
with different options.

The result is that when i disable SMP this Problem is gone!
No more NFS error messages copying a 680MB divx movie. Also neither ftp nor
scp got stuck once. This leads me to believe that it might be some
strange issue with my hardware and SMP or a kernel issue.

Here's more about this SMP server: (dmesg output is attached)

        - Asus CUV4X-D motherboard with latest bios 1014
        - 2x PIII-Coppermine/866 MHz
        - 2x 512 MB PC133 RAM
        - Compaq NC3134 Dual-NIC (using the eepro100 driver)
          but same problem when using a no-name 100MBit card
          with the 8139too driver

The output of ver_linux (Kernel compiled on another machine!):

sfr@obelix:~$ ver_linux
If some fields are empty or look unusual you may have an old version.
Compare to the current minimal requirements in Documentation/Changes.

 Linux obelix 2.4.18-o1 #1 SMP Son Mär 31 19:13:52 CEST 2002 i686
 unknown

  /usr/local/bin/ver_linux: gcc: command not found
  Gnu C
  Gnu make 3.79.1
  util-linux 2.11n
  mount 2.11n
  modutils 2.4.15
  e2fsprogs 1.27
  pcmcia-cs 3.1.28
  PPP 2.4.1
  Linux C Library 2.2.5
  Dynamic linker (ldd) 2.2.5
  Procps 2.0.7
  Net-tools 1.60
  Console-tools 0.2.3
  Sh-utils 2.0.11
  Modules Loaded ipt_state ipt_REJECT ipt_REDIRECT
  ipt_MASQUERADE ipt_unclean ipt_LOG ipt_limit ipt_TOS iptable_filter
  iptable_nat ip_conntrack iptable_mangle ip_tables ppp_async
  ppp_generic slhc ide-probe-mod ide-mod ospm_processor ospm_button
  ospm_system ospm_busmgr rtc

Used compiler:

sfr@asterix:~$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.4/specs
gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)

I'd be happy to do additional test.

Happy Easter, Stefan

--
Your lucky number has been disconnected.