Re: ANN: NTFS 2.0.1 for kernel 2.5.7 released

From: Padraig Brady (padraig@antefacto.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 08:46:36 EST

Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Padraig Brady wrote:
>
>>Is this a good default?
>

> I don't see what's wrong with that. It follows the logic of least
> surprise. In Windows all files are executable as there is no way to
> distinguish executables from non-executables due to lack of executable
> bit. NTFS on Linux has no way of telling the difference either and hence
> it makes sense to allow execution of all files.
>
> If you don't like it, use -o noexec,fmask=0111 and you will not have any
> files being executable.
>

>>IMHO you usually would not want to execute stuff off NTFS, and
>>if you do you can always just explicitly invoke using wine like:
>>`wine /ntfs/lookout.exe`
>

> No you couldn't.

why not? wine should be changed to allow this if
it is a limitation with it.

>>To have all files executable breaks stuff like:
>>midnight commander (won't open executable files)
>

> Ouch, that is plain stupid... mc should be fixed. I open executables all
> the time and mc should automatically fire up a hexeditor.

Well by not opening I meant it tries to run them
which is sensible really. I would guess any unix
filemanager is going to have some issues with all
files having executable bits set.

Isn't there some kludge for vfat where it marks
*.{com,exe,bat} as executable?

>>ls colorizing
>

> I like green files. (-;

Well I hate them :-)
Also coloring is wrong in mc and probably other things.