Re: 2.4.19pre3aa2

From: Jari Ruusu (jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 17:57:19 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Only in 2.4.19pre3aa2: 00_loop-IV-API-hvr-1
>
> Make the IV API not to be in function of the blkdev
> of the underlying fs, so you can copy your cryptoloop
> around without risking to lose data. This breaks the
> on-disk format of some encrypted transfer module though,
> if you don't like it please discuss it here in CC with
> Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr@hvrlab.org>, the patch
> is from him. I think writing a converter in place of
> the loop data would be the preferred solution if needed. It could
> be done in a way to link transparently with the source of
> the kernel modules.

Since you are finally fixing loop bugs, attached is a patch of loop fixes
from loop-AES package (cipher code has been removed of course). These fixes
are well tested and are basically unchanged since September 29 2001. Biggest
fix is to make device backed loop work with swap so that encrypted swap is
possible:

- IV computed in 512 byte units.
- Make device backed loop work with swap by pre-allocating pages.
- External encryption module locking bug fixed (from Ingo Rohloff).
- Get rid of the loop_get_bs() crap.
- grab_cache_page() return value handled properly, avoids Oops.
- No more illegal messing with BH_Dirty flag.
- No more illegal sleeping in generic_make_request().
- Loops can be set-up properly when root partition is still mounted ro.
- Default soft block size is set properly for file backed loops.
- kmalloc() error case handled properly.
- loop_set_fd() 'goto out_putf' error case handled properly.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>