Re: Kernel 2.5.6 Interactive performance

From: J Sloan (joe@tmsusa.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 23:55:23 EST

Robert Love wrote:

>The 2.5 tree also has most of these toys, and is a better place for this
>development IMO. Personally, I'd stay away from these all-in-one silly
>patches that are floating around these days. Your safest bet is just
>stock 2.4.18 or whatever is latest, although the above addons are all at
>varying levels of "stable" and "safe".

Just my $.02 -

After futzing around with all the various patches
floating around, I've found the -aa releases to be
a pleasant surprise all around. I generally run -aa
on my home and office workstations, as well as
the web/mail/dns/squid/firewall servers I manage.

I find I get 95% of the benefits of the bleeding
edge, with 5% of the effort - for instance:

untar 2.4.18
apply 2.4.19-pre2 patch
apply 2.4.19-pre2aa1 patch *
configure, compile, boot and enjoy.

* for nvidia drivers, back out xfs and 20_pte-highmem patches

Joe