Re: apm problems on thinkpad

From: Thomas Hood (jdthood@mail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 20:16:22 EST

> I never use suspend with Linux because I haven't take
> the time to investigate whether I need a separate suspend
> partition

I think we have terminological problems here. I know that the
various kinds of sedation are termed differently by different
manufacturers, but usually:

'standby' refers to a state of mildly reduced power consumption
which can be ended immediately;

'suspend' refers to a state of severely reduced power
consumption in which peripherals are switched off but the
CPU and RAM are kept powered up;

'hibernation' refers to a state of zero power consumption
in which the entire system state is saved to disk and the
machine is powered off.

On a ThinkPad, standby seems to consist of the screen
being switched off. Suspend and hibernation are as
described above.