Re: 2.5.6 IDE oops with i810 chipset

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linuxdiskcert.org)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 12:07:47 EST

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Gunther Mayer wrote:

> Andre Hedrick wrote:

> > > OK thank you very much this helps. I will actually have to fake the
> > > detection on my system to think it's the same as yours...
> > > One thing for sure: it's not dircetly inside the
> > > PCI host initialization, so I wonder why this problem
> > > doesn't occur to more people.
> >
> > You will soon learn about the way ATAPI removable media violate the rules
> > of how the maintain their status and signal lines. However you already
> > knew this information as I am wasting electrons
>
> Can you get more specific ?
>
> Do you mean
> a) Some ATAPI devices violate the "ATA/ATAPI-4" NCITS 317-1998 standard (or
> a newer version),

Few conform to "ATA/ATAPI-4" NCITS 317-1998 standard" or newer

> And your driver contained workarounds for these buggy devices? (And
> Martins driver doesn't contain these.)
> b) Your driver conforms to the standard, and Martin's driver does not?

It may look like a simple protocol, and it is once you understand it and
all the nasties done to it by the ATAPI folks.

I do not know because I am working on making the ATA/ATAPI transport work
correctly in 2.4 and will release something in 2.6.

Regards,

Andre Hedrick
The Second Linux X-IDE guy