Re: Kernel Oops in 2.4.18 (ide.c)

From: Beef Arrowny (tanfhltu@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 20:02:38 EST

--- Zwane Mwaikambo <zwane@linux.realnet.co.sz> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Beef Arrowny wrote:
>
> > I think I've got all the right info, but here
> goes:
> >
> > I'm trying to get my RICOH MP6200A CD-RW to work
> on
> > this new machine I just built. I've gotten it to
> work
> > in the past, but it's always been blind luck.
> This is
> > the first time I've gotten an oops however.
>
> I sent a patch to fix the oops, but not the
> underlying problem a while
> back, so thats probably why it hasn't made it into
> mainline. Jens might
> know wether the drive is a problematic one.
>
> Regards,
> Zwane

Can you give me a hint as to what I might be able to
do to modify it and fix it? I'm not an expert in C
coding, but I can mill my way around... I can
understand why such a patch may be left out of the
mainstream kernel, but I wouldn't mind applying it in
my case.

Just for some more info on the problem. I did some
more reboots last night, and I did get the 'eject sr0'
to work once. I then pressed the CD back in and tried
the eject again, and froze up hard. no Oops that
time. So it works intermittently.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Regards,
Toby