RE: ext3 and undeletion

From: Patrick Lynch (plynch@sphere.org)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 16:30:25 EST

I'm taking an idea from the NetApp filer and using LVM to solve these
issues. I'm hoping it will work as planned and not lose too much
performance. I am going to create snapshots of certain partitions with
LVM at different time indexes. I will use these snapshots to recover
lost data and to backup to tape.

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 18:04, Rose, Billy wrote:
> To me, Linux is about freedom. As we all know, freedom comes with a price.
> My company has users that sit on Win9x boxes and use Explorer to connect to
> a set of Netware boxes. These boxes house critical data. I didn't create
> this system, it grew to what it is before my time. If it were up to me, all
> of the users would be running Emacs or some other great editor (vim is my
> favorite), and connect to a Linux machine via CVS with a Linux box to alter
> files so there is little chance they could crap out the file system, or
> delete files without knowing it. Explorer is one of those M$ monsters that,
> under the right circumstances, grabs an entire tree and grinds it up into
> the digital void. The users in question are at these moments little more
> than automatons from editing hundreds, perhaps even a thousand, files in
> some 8 hour span of time. These users don't even have the DOS prompt in
> their Start menu, let alone the time to mess with it. Bottom line: Linux is
> not being used for file servers in my company because this feature is not
> present. We are _not_ talking about a windblows trashcan here, we are
> talking about short term enterprise class file recovery as implemented in
> Netware. This was my intention when I brought the whole issue up on this
> list. We don't need a windows garbage can (unless you mean literally :), we
> need file recovery at the sysadmin level without going to the tapes as
> often. In order for Linux to take over the planet (my dream), then all of
> the features that keep companies tied to an OS needs to be addressed. This
> issue is one such company tie.
>
> Billy Rose
>
> P.S. I got 2981.88 BogoMIPS today from a new install of RedHat 7.2 on a P4
> 1.5Ghz!

plynch@sphere.org

"Communications without intelligence is noise;
 Intelligence without communications is irrelevant."
   - Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC .