Re: Petition Against Official Endorsement of BitKeeper by Linux Maintainers

From: Cort Dougan (cort@fsmlabs.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 15:50:43 EST

We're here to discuss kernel development, right? Not debate software
ideologies.

I move the PPC tree over to BitKeeper and it was worthwhile. I made
rsync updates and plain old 'diff' patches against Linus' tree available
nightly. It was easy and very quick to do that, I had it running for
nearly 2 years very well. In fact, you can still grab the patches from
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/cort/. What is your problem with BK
apart from the license religion? Linus has made it clear he'll provide
patches in the same old style. I don't see what you think you lose here.
The gain for people who ship him patches is well worth it. Before I handed
the PPC tree over to Paul I would have killed to get Linus to use BK so
shipping him patches would be easier for everyone involved. If I were
still a maintainer my response would be a lot less mild to those people
that fight against BK on something so intangible as "feelings" about the
license. I put in a lot of hours shipping patches that were for nothing,
BK is helping avoid that for the current crew.

Seriously, what is your problem with BK? What do you feel that you lose?

} Also. The things being discussed here *matter* to some people. Some
} of the comments made by Larry, David, Cort, Rik and others have
} coarsely sought to deligitimise the very reasons why a significant number
} of kernel contributors and users are here at all. Those comments
} are monumentally insulting.
}
} -
} -
} To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
} the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
} More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
} Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/