Re: Why not an arch mirror for the kernel?

From: Tom Lord (lord@regexps.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 16:47:07 EST

I have the sense that you (lm) are trying to draw me into a flame war
on an inappropriate mailing list. I'm not interested.

I agree with this:

        lm:
        Go use arch and find out if you really want it.
        [http://www.regexps.com/#arch -- the artwork (which is not
         mine) is worth the price of admission.]

But caution early adopters to read this:

        http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/linux-kernel/archive/2002-Week-09/0856.html

For humor, let me add the juxtaposition of this:

        lm:
        Arch has one guy with no money and a pile of shell scripts.

with this:

        lm:
        More than a year ago, we had some research done to see what it
        would cost to reproduce BitKeeper from scratch. At that point,
        it was estimated to be about $12,000,000 and at least 3.5
        years from the time a good team started.

That sounds to me like the kind of research you'd want to include in a
proposal to potential investors: to prove that you have a unique
strength in the market being addressed (a "barrier to entry"). I find
the apparent urgency and hysteria with which you defame arch on this
list to be pretty funny.

-t