root-owned /proc/pid files for threaded apps?

From: Danek Duvall (duvall@emufarm.org)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 01:01:10 EST

I just upgraded from 2.4.8-pre3-ac2 to 2.4.19-pre2-ac2, and found that
for threaded programs like mozilla and xmms, files in /proc/<pid> are
owned by root, even if the process belongs to another user. I
particularly wanted to be able to read /proc/<pid>/environ, but I can't.

Is this a known problem? I haven't seen it float by.

I'll backtrack kernels to see if I can find the patch that caused it and
report back if I hear nothing.

Thanks,
Danek