Re: [RFC] Arch option to touch newly allocated pages

From: Jeff Dike (jdike@karaya.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 19:28:46 EST

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk said:
> and also enforcing a "must be able to fill in the pages between start
> and end of file" for the tmpfs file size itself is not hard from
> inspection.

So if I mapped a single page from file offset 65M on a 64M tmpfs, that would
fail?

I'd prefer maps to fail when they make the total maps exceed the tmpfs limit.

Then I can map in smaller chunks, PAGE_SIZE if necessary. That has the
disadvantage that the vmas in the host would be even uglier than they are
now because we don't have vma merging any more.

UML would still need that page_alloc hook, except it would map the allocated
pages instead of touching them.

                                Jeff